So far, I’ve craved the following things during pregnancy: apricots, deli macaroni salad, blueberries, cookies n’ cream ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, macaroni and cheese, french onion dip (and potato chips), grapes, s’mores, brownies (from a box), peaches and cottage cheese, and cereal. (I’ve been eating a lot of cereal.)
Sadly, there have been zero vegetables on the cravings list. If it weren’t for my garden, I probably wouldn’t be eating any vegetables whatsoever! It’s not that vegetables sound bad, I just don’t have a strong inclination towards them. I could take them or leave them. (I just want fruit. And ice cream. And cereal.)
Thankfully, my garden won’t let me get away with a fruit/cereal/ice cream diet. My garden is exploding with summer produce right now – cherry tomatoes, zucchini, basil, snap peas, lettuce, spinach, cilantro, carrots, green onions, etc – and I can’t let it all go to waste. So, when I do finally get around to cooking and/or eating vegetables, I am reminded of the fact that I really do love them. Especially in the peak of summer season, there are just so many wonderful vegetable options. They’re bright and crisp, full of flavor and nutrients.
So, even if I don’t particularly crave veggies, I’ll keep eating them because I know they’re good for me and the baby (and my garden keeps pumping out more of them!). And you know what? It’s dishes like this zucchini and corn sauté that will keep me coming back for more.
(A quick note about the recipe: while I prefer making this in a cast iron skillet in the oven, you could totally cook this on the stovetop. I just like the way the veggies caramelize and cook evenly in the oven. But, it’s really hot outside and you might not want to turn on your oven. In which case, I think it’s totally fine to cook this recipe on the stovetop!)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1.5 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat. Once skillet is hot, add in butter, shallots, and garlic and give a good stir. Place back in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove skillet form oven and toss in corn and zucchini. Stir to coat, and add a bit more butter if needed. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Place skillet back in the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Once zucchini and corn are just starting to brown, remove from the oven. Stir in cherry tomatoes and sherry vinegar. Top with thinly sliced ribbons of fresh basil and a healthy sprinkling of finely grated parmesan cheese. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if needed.