The first time I made this Brussels sprout Caesar salad was for Thanksgiving dinner. I posted a photo of the salad on my Instagram feed, and a couple of people asked if I’d be sharing the recipe. I responded with a resounding yes, and let them know that I’d be posting the recipe the following week.
That was 3 months ago. (But who’s counting?!?)
As I’ve said time and time again, this business of having a baby is time consuming. It’s completely awesome, but it takes every spare ounce of energy that I can muster. And when I do finally get a few moments to myself, I have to use that time very wisely (i.e. working on projects for my clients, taking a shower, doing laundry, etc.) The ole blog tends gets left in the dust.
But, I am determined to get back in the saddle. I’ve been cooking a lot lately, and it feels great. I’m still trying to find the time and energy to photograph and write about food, but I’m getting there. Baby steps, people. Baby steps. (Please tell me you’re reading this in Bill Murray’s voice. What About Bob? is the best.)
So, it took me 3 months to get around to posting this Brussels sprout Caesar salad recipe. This salad is worth the wait, I promise. It’s all of the best things, tossed together into one tasty salad: Brussels sprouts seared in bacon fat, mixed with a tangy yogurt Caesar dressing, parmesan cheese, and crispy bacon.
Folks, it doesn’t get much better than this.
A warm Caesar salad, made with shredded Brussels sprouts, crispy bacon, and a tangy yogurt Caesar dressing. Adapted from howsweeteats.com.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, stems removed and sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 anchovies, minced
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- First, cook the bacon. (I’m more of a stovetop bacon kind of girl, but feel free to cook the bacon to your liking!) Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, flipping once, until the fat renders and the bacon is good and crispy. When ready, remove the bacon from the skillet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan, and pour off the rest of the grease.
- Next, make the dressing. In a food processor or blender pulse together the greek yogurt, anchovies, garlic, mustard, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Heat skillet with reserved bacon grease over medium heat. Toss shredded Brussels sprouts in the pan, making sure to evenly coat with bacon grease. Cook the sprouts for 4-6 minutes, until warm and browning along the edges.
- Remove sprouts from the skillet and toss with a few spoonfuls of the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with grated parmesan cheese and crumble bacon over the top of the salad. Serve warm, with an extra dusting of freshly grated black pepper.