This is such a simple and pretty spring salad. I won’t pretend this salad is anything new or revolutionary – let’s be honest, we’ve all seen spinach and strawberry salads before – but I think the simplicity of this salad is what I love most about it. It’s chock-full of gorgeous spring produce – strawberries, spinach, fennel, radishes, and snap peas – and the veggies are perfectly complemented by a bright and balanced homemade lime and poppy-seed vinaigrette.
This is one of those recipes that can easily be changed and adapted, depending on what you have on hand (or what you’re in the mood for). You could substitute lettuce, kale, arugula, or any other type of leafy green for spinach in this salad and it would be equally delicious. Or, try using pecans or hazelnuts instead of almonds. Whatever the case, you can’t go wrong with the combination of ripe strawberries, spring veggies, goat cheese, and a sweet and tangy vinaigrette.
- Several handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar snap peas
- 1/2 fennel bulb
- 3-4 french breakfast radishes
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds
- Crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Pinch of yellow mustard powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash and pat dry the fruits and vegetables. Remove strawberry tops and slice into halves or quarters. Slice the snap peas thinly, at an angle. Using a mandoline, shave the fennel bulb and radishes into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients – oils, vinegar, lime juice, poppy seeds, and spices.
- Gently toss the spinach with the strawberries, snap peas, fennel, and radishes. Toss with poppyseed vinaigrette, to coat. Sprinkle chopped almonds and goat cheese crumbles atop the salad. Sprinkle a few fennel fronds on the salad, if desired. Add an extra dash of black pepper, for an extra kick.